Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Homemade Salsa

The tomatoes with the vine still attached looked so good at the market yesterday so I bought a bunch of them.  One of my favorite things to eat is salsa.  It is the one thing that I craved when I was pregnant with my son.  It is a great treat that is healthy and tasty.  I also now know that it is super simple to whip up a batch.

Ingredients:
Tomatoes - I used on the vine, quartered and deseeded.  I used about 8.
Cilantro - minced - I used about 2 tablespoons.  You can adjust to your taste.
Jalapeno - 2 chopped
1 bunch of green onions - chopped - any onion will do, this is just what I had on hand
salt to taste
Juice of half a lime






I started by quartering and deseeding the tomatoes.  I then placed them in a very hot dry skillet to get some char on the skin.  It just a takes a minute or two.  Watch them so they do not burn.  I then placed them in my blender to cool while I chopped the rest of the ingredients

I then chopped up the cilantro, jalapenos, and onions and added them to the tomatoes.










I pulsed the blender about 6 times or so.  This is very dependent on your blender or food processor. My old blender would have needed more but my new Ninja is AWESOME!!!!!  Best Christmas present ever!!

Add salt to your liking.  I used about a tablespoon.  I am not one for adding much salt but for me salsa is something that begs for it.  I also added the juice of half a lime at this point.  Pulse 1 or 2 more times and there you have it.  Pour in a bowl and let it sit for at least on hour in the fridge. It will just get better!

Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment