Wednesday, May 14, 2014

DIY Camera Strap - For the Photographer in your Life

Later this week, we will be leaving for vacation.  My hubby has been asking me to make him a camera strap for a while and I thought now is the perfect time to make one for him.  This one is made for someone with is tall, so feel free to adjust it to your height.  This one comes to the middle of my thighs since I am just barely over 5 foot, but perfect for Tim since his is over 6'3".  Here is how I created it.  

First, I chose my materials.  This is a scrap piece of fabric that I had on hand.  I needed it to be big enough to cut our two strips that were 6" x 27".  I also used my Fiskars cutter and board, matching thread, grograin ribbon, and two clips.  I needed small clips to fit his camera.  I found the ones that I used in the jewelry section at Joann's.  



I then measured and cut out two strips of material measure 6" x 27".  My cutting board is a little shy of 27" so I used a piece of paper to make sure it lined up all the way to the top so that I got a straight cut.  



Next, I cut off the selvage end of the fabric.



Next, comes the ironing.  You will want to fold the material in half long ways and iron a crease into the material.


Using the crease that you just made, fold each of the sides to that crease and iron down.



Next, fold both sides together to create a long, skinny strip. On each end, fold it in 1/4" to create a finished end once completed. This is part of your strap. You will need to repeat with the other strip of material.



Next, you will need to cut out to pieces of ribbon.  This is the kind that I just happened to have on hand.  I cut two strips 6" each.



Thread the ribbon through the clip.


I used a straight stitch to hold the ends of the ribbon together. Do this to each of the strips of ribbon.


Place the ribbon inside of the end of one of the strips, centering it when you do this. Sew the end of the strip down.  I used a zigzag stitch to make it secure.




You will also want to sew the other end shut and do a zigzag stitch all the way down the long side of the strip.



Place the end of the strip that you just completed inside the other strip just like you did the ribbon. Sew together using a zigzag stitch.




Sew in the other ribbon and hook into the other end of the strip that you just completed.


You now have a new camera strap.  Much cooler than the black ones that usually come with the camera.  And you can customize it to your height since we are not one size fits all.



No comments:

Post a Comment