Thursday, July 10, 2014

Soft Alphabet Letters for Your Little One

My son loves to play with the magnetic letters we have on the front door.  Amelia loves them too but for a different reason - she likes to eat them.  I decided that I would make her some letters that are soft that she can play with and it does not matter if she eats them.  This is an easy project to do but it will take some time doing all 26 letters.  I just used scrap fabric that I already had on hand and tried to match it to the letter as best I could.  (I mean X, what in the world would I use for that one!)

Here is what you will need:
scrap fabric
outlines of the letters (I am sure you can Google letter outlines or trace die cut letters or I used graph paper and drew my own.)
matching thread
batting for the insides of the letters



You will need to start out by tracing out your letters and cutting them out.  I just used graph paper to draw mine out because I decided that would help me keep them somewhat symmetrical and not crazy as it would be if I drew them out free hand.




Once you have all the letters cut out, you are ready to begin assembling your letters.  You will want to find a piece of scrap fabric that will fit your letter.  I used the sandwich method.  I laid my fabric out and placed the batting inside and then covered it with another piece of fabric.  


I then pinned my letter to the top fabric and cut it out using pinking shears.  I used the pinking shears so that the fabric will not ravel since I am leaving the edges open.




I then sewed around the edges and around the holes since I am showing the letter B.  I used a contrasting thread for each just to add an extra touch to it.





Here are  the finished letters.  I think they turned out great and I know Amelia will love getting these for her birthday!  When I was taking the photo she was grabbing the letters off the chair.  Gotta love the days when you can put their gifts right there in front of them and they have no idea what is going on.  Oh how I miss those days with Alex! Ha!  Be creative and have fun making these letters for your little one!





If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment