Tuesday, July 29, 2014

DIY Bib for an Older Baby or Toddler

Things have been so hectic around here as we quickly approach Alex starting kindergarten.  I feel like we have been busy with lots of things going on in our lives.  Amelia turned one on July 12 and Alex 5 on July 24.  In the middle of those two parties, my husband's company had their IT department group activity.  We were able to go whitewater rafting and it was so much fun.  I have not been in years and had forgotten how much I really love it.  Tim and I are already talking about going again!


Over all of the activities that we have had, I have found that Amelia has decided that a baby bib is much better as a hat than to be worn as something to protect her clothing.  She can easily get the velcro bibs off and thinks that it is so funny to put them on her head.  She loves to put things on her head!

I went to pick her up from daycare one day and they had a bib on her that only had a hole for the head and no velcro.  I decided that this was something that I could try to make on my own.  I went straight for Alex's closet to get a shirt that he has barely worn and will have outgrown by next summer.  I then went to my scrap fabric and found a piece of minky that I used to make my nephew Lake a blanket when he was born.

All you will need for this project is an old t shirt.  If you do not have one this is something that you can easily get from a thrift store.  You will also need a fabric for the back.  I used a piece of minky because it was soft and it is something that I had on hand. You will also need thread.




Here is how I made the bib.



I laid out the shirt and made sure that the side seams line up.  You are going to cut across the back of the shirt just an inch or two above the bottom of the arm hole.  You are going to cut from side to side.






 Cut up both of the side seams to where you cut across the back.




Here is what you will have after you cut the side seams.  You can see that it already is starting to look like a bib.




You will then need to lay the shirt down on the backing material with the ride sides together. You are using the shirt as a pattern and you will pin together so that you can sew around the edges.




Sew around all of the edges making sure that you leave a hole at the bottom so that you will be able to turn the bib right side out.


I forgot to make a cut between the tags at the next before I sewed it together.  You are going to want to do this so that you are able to turn it right side out.  You can sew it back together once it is turned right side out so that you have attached sides.  I just tucked one side into each other and sewed them together.




I think that Amelia likes her bib.  When I first put it on her she tried to get it off but could not quite figure out how to do it.  Hopefully this will help protect all the pretty little dresses that she got for her birthday.  This is an easy project to customize to what you like and make some pretty cool bibs and upcycle at the same time.

If you like what you just read please click to send a quick vote for me on Top Mommy Blogs- The best mommy blog directory featuring top mom bloggers

No comments:

Post a Comment